We’ve moved! Join us at our new location: plasticconnoisseur.com.
When it comes to the X-men, there is a small number of artists whose work can be counted as iconic. Kirby. Byrne. Lee. Jim Lee’s art in Uncanny X-men #275 is what first made me aware of him. I traded the issue away for a copy of Gen13, but I later obtained another copy. For the longest time his art WAS the X-men to me.
I didn’t collect a whole lot of trading cards growing up, but I did buy one for 1.50 from a classmate, Psylocke. When the cartoon first premiered, I was holding the card hoping to see Psylocke. To my knowledge she never appeared on the show.
Fast forward to now, Marvel, in honor of the new Astonishing X-men comic, is rereleasing the art as variant covers for comics this July. They have been remastered and recolored to fit on a cover.
They truly are beautiful pieces of art. It would nice if these were released as letterpress prints. You could frame them and hang them in your geek room.
There are of course more, but we will have wait and see. Of course if you have the original cards you should have an idea of what to expect.
- ALL-NEW WOLVERINE #22 (Archangel)
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #30 (Bishop)
- AVENGERS #9 (Mystique)
- BLACK PANTHER #16 (Storm)
- CABLE #3 (Cable)
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: STEVE ROGERS #19 (Gambit)
- CHAMPIONS #10 (Cyclops)
- DAREDEVIL #23 (Domino)
- DEADPOOL #33 (Deadpool)
- DEFENDERS #3 (Shadow King)
- DOCTOR STRANGE #23 (Mr. Sinister)
- GENERATION X #4 (Jubilee)
- GWENPOOL, THE UNBELIEVABLE #18 (White Queen)
- INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #9 (Colossus)
- IRON FIST #5 (Sabretooth)
- JEAN GREY #4 (Dark Phoenix)
- MIGHTY THOR #21 (Sentinel)
- MS. MARVEL #20 (Lady Deathstrike)
- OLD MAN LOGAN #26 (Professor X)
- PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #2 (Psylocke)
- THE PUNISHER #14 (Forge)
- ROYALS #5 (Magneto)
- SPIDER-MAN #18 (Shadowcat)
- THANOS #9 (Strong Guy)
- UNCANNY AVENGERS #25 (Rogue)
- VENOM #152 (Polaris)
- WEAPON X #5 (Warpath)
- X-MEN BLUE #7 (Jean Grey)
- X-MEN GOLD #7 (Mojo)
I don’t buy physical comics anymore, but I may have to make an exception for these.